Does the Notary Have to Watch Me Sign? And Other Jurisdictional Issues

In most jurisdictions, including Ontario, the law requires a notary public to witness the signing of a document in person before he or she can notarize the document. Usually, this is pretty easy. 

But what if you are outside your home town, province or country and you need to get a document notarized for use back home? For example, you’re visiting Vancouver but need to sign closing papers for a house you bought back home in Toronto. 

Or what if you need something notarized for use in another town, province or country? For example, you are selling property you own in Florida but you live and work in Toronto and can’t get down to Florida in time to sign the selling documents. 

Luckily, the solution is still pretty easy: simply visit a notary wherever you are and have them notarize the documents for you and send the documents to where they need to go.  This is also known as “notarizing a document for use in another jurisdiction.” If you are in another country, you may need to have the notary’s signature authenticated for use outside of that country - check with the notary and your lawyer (if applicable) to see if this is required and what the process is.

Downtown Notary has helped many clients with signing documents for use in many other jurisdictions, including mortgage documents, powers of attorney, affidavits, etc. We can liaise with your lawyer, mortgage broker or other professional to help you quickly and easily complete your documents. Contact us today to learn how we can assist you.

How Do Downtown Notary's Services Work?

How to Find a Lawyer